Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A couple of sickos

My husband caught a nasty cold last week. Then, Saturday, it caught up with me. And then Monday it followed my son around until he couldn't outrun it anymore. Thankfully, Brennon is better (my hubbie) and now it's just us - a couple of sickos. This is Jax's first cold. His little nose is congested (and baby's are nose-breathers), his little voice is crackly, and he does not yet know how to cover his mouth when he coughs and sneezes :) His little throat hurts and this all makes it difficult for him to eat. Breaks Mommy's heart! And it occurred to me that I cannot protect him from all illnesses. This is only his FIRST cold, maybe even for this season. There will be more. And there will be flus, and chicken pox, and bee stings, and sprained ankles, and broken bones, and.....broken hearts. I can aid him in good decision making, how to turn the worst into the best, and I can hold him when it's hard. But, I can't save him from the harm in this world. All I can do is point him to the One who has already given His life to save him from this world of woe. And help prepare him for when He comes to take us to our happy home with no more sickness, no more fear, just blessed peace and fullness of joy. And hope/pray that through example he learns to grab hold of Him on his own.

1 comment: