Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Beautiful Mess

So today I'm feeding my sweet baby boy, and he suddenly pauses sucking, his eyes squint a little, he looks off to a far away place, and the rumbling begins. I have seen and heard this many times when my tiny baby is releasing his seemingly large bowels. No worries! He has a diaper. We will finish our feeding like usual, burp, and then change. The last two days he has...um...digested so much that it has come out the back of his diaper and through his clothes and onto me (both times at church functions - always bring extra clothes!). Anyhoo, so while burping him I though I would peak behind him to make sure no leakage had occurred. And, PTL, I thought, it was indeed visible, but just to the very top of the diaper. No leakage! So I take a moment and hold my baby sweetly to my chest in a moment of relief and sweetness. A few minutes after this warm snuggling I carry him into the changing room and gently pull him away from my chest to find my shirt completely stuck to his thigh. Oh yes! It did not leak out the back, but out the front and created a large spot of formed formula the size of a plate on the front of my shirt. His entire leg is coated and he thinks this is all hilarious :) Obviously I need new diapers. But, in that moment, in all honesty, the joy on his face actually dispelled the messiness of the matter. And I realized that life is messy, LOVE is messy. We are all too sinful to get things perfect al the time and the things we make to try and hide or prevent or clean up our imperfections sometimes make them more visible. But God has given us so many better things to focus on like butterflies, kittens, rainbows, trees, small breezes, freshly baked bread, friends, family, the smile on a baby's face...His own Son revealing the goodness and grace He has for us, and the promise of a future without messiness. Perfection. But, (side note) I have always wondered if we will have bowels in heaven (I would think so since we seemed to have them originally) and how that will play out there. Maybe a little messiness will still be there ... :) Either way it will be overshadowed by the amazing beauty of heaven and joy.

1 comment:

  1. Baby Jax is so precious and he's all yours! I can't wait to have my own kids someday. I know that there will be moments of messiness but it's so worth it. Thanks for sharing this cute little story! What a great sermon illustration for Brennon to use someday :)

    ReplyDelete